The LAFP Family Physician of the Year is selected each year from among LAFP members. The Family Physician of the Year is an established recognition program of the LAFP. It has been conducted annually since 1980. The recipient is announced at the LAFP Annual Assembly each summer. The candidate selected for the award is nominated for the Family Physician of the Year award for the national competition.
Each year the Chair of the Committee on Legislative and Membership Issues is responsible for notifying all active members of the Louisiana Chapter announcing the presentation of the Family Physician of the Year. This notification should be posted no later than three months prior to the presentation date.
Nominees from the three prior years will automatically be included in the current years nominations process.
The Committee on Nominations is responsible for selecting the recipient. Following the selection of the Family Physician of the Year, nominating members will be notified of the selection and informed that they may re-submit their nominations the succeeding year.
The winner will be notified as soon as the selection is made.
LAFP staff will be responsible for ordering the Family Physician of the Year Plaque and transporting it to LAFP's Annual Assembly for presentation.
- Be an "Active" member, in good standing, of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- Provides his/her patients with compassionate, comprehensive, and caring family medicine on a continuing basis.
- Enhances the quality of his/her community by being directly and effectively involved in community affairs and activities.
- Acts as a credible role model professionally and personally to his/her community, to other health professionals, and residents and medical students.
- Stands out among his/her colleagues.
The winner is determined by the Nominations Committee consisting of the Legislative and Membership Committee Chair, who will serve as the Nominating Committee Chair, the President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, and two other Board of Directors members selected by the President.
Anyone can nominate a physician for the honor of LAFP Family Physician of the Year. Please confirm the physician's willingness to be honored and to serve.
The nomination packet must contain the following:
- Completed nomination form (2 page PDF).
- Current curriculum vitae (limited to three pages).
- Maximum of eight pages of supporting documentation. Please note the following rules:
- If more than eight pages are received, only the first eight pages will be used. Note: supporting documentation does not include the nomination form or curriculum vitae.
- No double-sided pages will be accepted.
- Please do not reduce more than two letters to a page. Nomination packets with more than two letters per page will not be accepted.
- All pages must be photocopy-ready and of reproducible quality. Newspaper articles, odd-sized pieces of paper, etc., must be copied onto an unfolded, 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Anything that is not photocopy-ready will not be used.
Electronic and hard copy nominations will be accepted. If submitting electronically, please scan the nomination form and all supporting documentation to one PDF file. Hard copy submissions also will be accepted. If mailing, please do not fold the materials. The packet should be mailed flat with no staples. No two-sided copies, please.
The nominations along with the supporting documentation as detailed above are due to the LAFP office by March 31, 2023.
Nominations, along with all supporting materials and documentation, can be emailed or mailed to:
Executive Vice President
Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians
919 Tara Boulevard
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
The LAFP Family Physician of the Year Award will be presented to the winner at the Installation & Awards Ceremony, during the LAFP Annual Assembly.