Prepare Now Disasters and emergencies can happen at any time. Are you prepared? Is your practice prepared?
With the ever-present threat of hurricane activity in Louisiana, the LAFP urges all members to get prepared! Here is a list of helpful resources: (source: www.lsms.org)
Checklist for Disaster Preparedness
- Stay informed on the evolving event, and share that information with personnel/staff/employees to ensure enough time to take appropriate action
- Maintain an updated contact list of all personnel/staff/employees, including home phone numbers, cellphones and other emergency contact number and encourage staff to share their personal evacuation plans and their availability for post-event emergency efforts
- Make decisions early about closing the office, or availability in services provided by your practice to your patients
- Communicate major changes in your office operations with patients; Be prepared to answer questions about rescheduling options, alternative treatment facilities and what they can do to maintain care of their diagnosed conditions
- Charge cell phones and laptops prior to event
- Bring office server and back up files with you in the event of an evacuation; Files may not be easily accessed on another server with different software
- In the event of an evacuation, take important office business documents, such as insurance policies, payroll information, lease agreements, etc., with you when you leave
Customize these easy-to-use disaster preparedness manuals to create a disaster preparedness plan for use in the midst of a disaster or disaster recovery period.
- Section I: Personal Preparedness ( 27 page DOC)
- Section II: Practice Preparedness (54 page DOC)
- Section III: Community Preparedness (9 page DOC)
Use these resources to help prepare your office for a pandemic influenza outbreak.
- Business Planning Checklist to Prepare Family Medicine Officers for Pandemic Influenza (2 page PDF)
- Pandemic Influenza - Clinical Considerations (4 page PDF)
- Checklist to Prepare Physicians' Offices for Pandemic Influenza (4 page PDF)