What You Can Do
Thank you for believing in, supporting, and inspiring us to continue infusing the strong programs of the LAFP Foundation with fresh ideas that help us more fully achieve our mission. It is only through you that we can advance our commitment to family medicine and the people we serve.
We are proud to have earned your commitment. Your contribution makes our programs possible and your compassionate support is building the future of the specialty. You may choose to make a restricted donation to one of our programs or an unrestricted donation. Unrestricted funds provide the power to make great things happen. Our Foundation leaders gratefully use these flexible gifts for top priorities.
Make a tax-deductible unrestricted contribution to the Foundation any day.
We also know that providing a variety of ways to give is important. Listed below are additional ways you can give whether monetarily or in-kind:
Family Medicine Legacy League
Through your planned gift, you can support the Foundation and its programs.
A planned gift provides one of the most substantial and lasting means of support you can give. Planned gifts require specific planning with your financial advisor, attorney, or accountant and can provide you, the donor, with significant tax advantages.
You can make a planned gift to the Foundation through a bequest (a gift you designate in your will), living trust, gift of life insurance, or a variety of other options.
What better way to support the future of family medicine in Louisiana than to name the Foundation in your will and in your estate planning. None of us knows what the future will bring. What we do know is that people will always need the quality care provided by family physicians and family physicians will always need to have meaningful involvement with both their patients and communities, making lasting improvements in Louisiana’s quality of life.
- Make sure you have an up-to-date will (or living trust) that reflects your charitable objectives
- Contact your financial advisor (a financial planner, lawyer, or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift
- You can leave cash, stocks, real estate, insurance policies, and personal property to charitable organizations
- You can make the Foundation a beneficiary of your life insurance, pension plan, or IRA.
The Foundation is a registered charity with www.iGive.com; and, shopping online at www.iGive.com is another way to support the Foundation’s mission to cultivate student career choice in the specialty of family medicine.
By signing up at www.iGive.com/OAFPF and shopping online at the 900+ participating retail establishments, a percentage of your purchase(s) will be donated to the Foundation – and your shopping donations are tax deductible!
“For online shoppers, this is a great way to make an extra contribution to the Foundation. It is fast, easy, and fun to watch your donations grow just by shopping online at your favorite stores,” said Foundation Executive Vice President Ann Spicer.
Merchants associated with iGive are not remote, online “trunk stores,” but rather they include retailers such as Amazon, Macy’s, The Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, Expedia, Orbitz, Barnes & Noble, Staples, QVC, JCPenney, and many, many more.
Try it now! Join iGive and you will be setup to support the Foundation with your online shopping. It is that simple!
The Foundation is a registered charity with AmazonSmile. Shopping through AmazonSmile is another way to support the Foundation’s mission to cultivate student career choice in the specialty of family medicine.
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support the Foundation every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible purchases to the Foundation.
To shop at AmazonSmile simply go visit the AmazonSmile website from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may also want to add a bookmark to AmazonSmile to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile. You will be asked to select the organization you’d like to support. Enter The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians and you’re all set. You can also link your existing Amazon.com account on AmazonSmile.
For more information, please see the program details on the AmazonSmile website.
Foundation Live Auction
During the LAFP Annual Assembly President's Party, the Foundation hosts an auction for members, friends, and the community to bid on a variety of items. Items have ranged from LSU memorabilia and overnight stays to artwork, and event tickets. The Foundation continuously seeks items for this activity. If you’d like to donate an item to be placed up for bid, please contact Director of Foundation & Strategic Programs Kaitlin McGuffie. Keep an eye out for articles in the Weekly Family Medicine Update on items available for bid.
Consider sharing your time and expertise by volunteering with us. You can:
Become a Preceptor
- How to be an Efficient and Effective Preceptor (Family Practice Management, May-June 2010)
- Precepting: Help Yourself While Helping Students (Family Practice Management, February 2002)
- Preceptor Expansion Initiative
- Primary Care Preceptor Expansion Action Plan
- Strategies to Ensure that Students Add Value in Outpatient Offices
- Teaching Physician Webinars
- The Joy of Teaching Medical Students
- The One-Minute Preceptor: Shaping the Teaching Conversation
- Finding the Right Mentor Is Worth the Quest (Leader Voices, February 25, 2019)
- True Mentors Help Students Find Where They Belong (Leaders Voices, February 4, 2019)
- Initiative Creates Efficiencies and Incentives for Preceptors: An Interview with Preceptor Expansion Initiative Chair Annie Rutter, MD
- Mentoring, Providing Opportunities for Next Generation (AAFP News, July 30, 2018)
- Pass Along Your Knowledge: Be a Mentor (Fresh Perspectives, March 27, 2014)
- Who Will Mentor the Next Generation of Family Doctors? (Leaders Voices, June 19, 2017)
- Bustling Clerkship Shows Family Medicine Is Never Boring (Leaders Voices, November 20, 2018)
- Family Physician’s Passion Catches Students by Surprise; Creative Precepting Makes Family Medicine Shine (AAFP News, June 29, 2015)
Join the Foundation Board of Directors
Share Your Story
Share your story – plain and simple. Students and residents need to hear more from family physicians about the breadth of work they do and the satisfaction a career in family medicine can bring. Whether you’re having conversations with peers and colleagues or visiting students and residents, share the things you love about what you do.