Make the Right Choice
Explore family medicine with a free membership. Find your peers and resources you can use in medical school.
Students enrolled in allopathic or osteopathic medical schools that are approved by appropriate U.S. accrediting institutions as defined by the AAFP Commission on Education, including Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA).
- Student members may serve on committees as determined by the Board. Student members who are appointed to serve on committees have the right to vote in such bodies but are not eligible to serve as chair.
- A student member shall be elected to serve on the Board of Directors.
- The student member of the Board shall have full voting privileges on the Board.
- A student member shall be elected to serve as the student delegate to the General Assembly, who shall have full voting privileges in the General Assembly.
- A student member shall be elected to serve as the student delegate to the AAFP National Conference. Otherwise, student members shall not be entitled to hold office in the LAFP but shall have a voice in standing committees.
- May have floor at Congress of Delegates. (Duly-elected student delegates to the Congress have additional privileges.)
Continuing Study Requirements
General Membership Information
- Applications for student and resident membership are approved at the national level, subject to AAFP Bylaws.
- National headquarters completes enrollment. Transfers from one classification to another must be approved by the LAFP chapter.
- If all membership requirements are met, membership is continued on an annual basis, unless notification is received from the member.
LAFP membership is unified, which means that members are required to belong to the national AAFP and to the LAFP chapter. The AAFP has a chapter for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Uniformed Services, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Members are also required to belong to a local chapter, if one exists in their area.
Chapter membership makes it convenient for LAFP members to access relevant information and focused resources right where you live and work. The LAFP offers local opportunities to network, mentor, volunteer, take a leadership role, and get involved in the LAFP/AAFP.
International Medical Students
Medical students who are currently enrolled in a medical school in a country or territory outside the United States that is not accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA). To apply, please complete and submit an online application.