The LAFP's Family Medicine Student Externship Program is a four-week summer clerkship that is designed to introduce the participating medical student to family medicine. As part of the program, the student will work one-on-one in a clinical rotation with a practicing family physician. This program gives the student the opportunity to observe and participate in the daily delivery of patient care and will help the student develop a better understanding of the role that the family doctor plays in his or her community.
LAFP will work with the student to identify a physician preceptor. The dates of the rotation should be scheduled in June 2016 and/or July 2016. The program should be completed prior to the beginning of the 2016-2017 academic year. The student will be responsible for establishing a weekly schedule with the physician and staff and strictly adhere to the set schedule. A stipend of $2000 is offered as part of the externship. The stipend will be paid after the successful completion of the 4-week rotation and submission of all required documentation to LAFP. Housing and travel arrangements are the responsibility of the student.
This program is funded and sponsored by the LAFP Foundation and by a matching grant from the AAFP Foundation. Only one externship will be awarded to one student. Participation in another summer clinical rotation is prohibited.
- A student member in good standing of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Family Physicians
- A student currently enrolled and in good standing with a Louisiana medical school
- A student who has demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in family medicine
- A student who has shown evidence of active student leadership in family medicine activities
- A student who has demonstrated evidence of superior scholastic achievement in overall medical school studies and particularly in the field of family medicine
- A completed application
- A CV with a digital head shot
- An autobiographical sketch which should include the following:
- Personal information that you may find pertinent to your education and career choices
- What influenced you to enter medical school
- Future professional and personal goals
- Describe experiences that you have had in health care or research.
- Major interests outside of medicine
- Characteristics that you possess that will make you a good physician
- What your expectations are for the externship
- What you hope to gain from the externship
The nominations along with the supporting documentation as detailed above are due to the LAFP office by May 1, 2016.
Electronic and hard copy nominations will be accepted. If submitting electronically, please scan the nomination form and all supporting documentation to one PDF file. Hard copy submissions also will be accepted. If mailing, please do not fold the materials. The packet should be mailed flat with no staples. No two-sided copies, please.
Please return the 2016 Externship Application to:
Lee Ann Albert
919 Tara Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70806