Reinstating your membership
When you are reinstated as an AAFP member, there is no gap in your years of membership and you will retain your original date of enrollment. This is important if you:
- Are interested in applying for the AAFP’s Degree of Fellow, which requires that applicants have at least six years of membership.
- Hope to become a Life member, which requires a minimum of 20 years of continuous membership.
If your membership was canceled for non-payment of dues or lack of CME:
- You are required to pay membership dues for the years since your membership lapsed.
- You may also need to provide documentation of CME (150 credits per three-year re-election cycle) that you earned if your re-election cycle ended prior to January 1 of this year. This condition only applies if your membership type was Active or Supporting FP when your membership lapsed.
Ready to reinstate your membership? Please call the AAFP Contact Center at (800) 274-2237.
Rejoining the AAFP
When you rejoin the AAFP, you are given a new enrollment date, as if you are a new member. You do not receive credit for your previous years of membership.
- Your application must be approved by the national AAFP and the chapter with which you are affiliated. This process can take 30-90 days.
- Pay the first year of dues in full, or enroll in the installment payment plan, in order to receive membership benefits.
- Provide proof of having earned at least 100 credits of CME within the last two years (if your membership lapsed less than two years ago). Staff in the AAFP’s Contact Center can assist you with identifying applicable CME.
Ready to rejoin the AAFP? Submit a new application for membership.